Wednesday, April 27, 2016

2016 Spring Richmond, KY one-day

Richmond, KY Spring One-Day

Rd 1 v. Ken Dutch
I hit AEGLNRRW (1) but missed the tws bingo AEELNGRR (2). MISTRIAL for Ken, ?AEEOSU (3) for me. ZAIRE for 68 put him right back in it. I figured out the correct endgame out-in-two sequence based on what we thought the score was. As it turned out, we had both underscored a play of his by two. That plus him missing three points on a top last play cost him a one-point win. All in all, I got outplayed this round.
377 – 375     1-0     +2                    me: ??SS                opp: SSJQXZ

Rd 2 v. Paul Erland
Missed a fun extension right off the bat, DRY(POINT), and then a nine the next turn – AEINRRY through IT (4). We traded his DELAINE to my ADEEGORT (5) before he put me away. He landed FUSTTIER, making (VERST)E. The hook was unknown to me, and so unsuccessful challenge. I missed ADOOSPWW (6) late, but would still have been all but sunk.
345 – 426    1-1     (79)                   me: ?SSX               opp: ?SSJQZ

Rd 3 v. Marc Broering
Found AEEILOTT (7) early, but missed better EEILOTTT (8). Missed CEGINORZ (9). Found AENOPRT (10), but missed that the P could front hook #7 (11). Missed ABDEGNRU (12) and ABEGNOR (13). Either of the last two would've blocked Marc's late, great ROULEAUX. I managed to find an out-in-two that included back-hooking an R to the end of ROOKIE.
351 – 342    2-1     (70)                   me: ?SZ                 opp: ?SSSJQX

Rd 4 v. Emily Brodeur
EGIILNRT (14) early for me. AELNORV (15) gave me a monster lead, though ACEKLORV (16) or AEKLORTV (17) would've scored better. Emily landed STORMED late.
448 – 302     3-1    +66                    me: ?SSJQZ           opp: ?SSX

Rd 5 v. David A Brown
Marvelous comeback for David. I missed CEEGNORV (18) right out of the gate, but managed BEINOST (19) soon after. EGRRSSU (20) was nice but EGLNRSSU (21) would've been double-double. The 80 point lead wasn't enough. David got ZONAE for 58 and OXID for 40 to get close. He then set up a bingo-lane I couldn't properly block and landed ANOTHER for 90. He then drew to a perfectly-fitting INERTIAE out of a pretty bad bag to seal it.
397 – 448     3-2     +15                   me: ?SSSSJQ          opp: ?XZ

Rd 6 v. Steve Bush
DEIOSTU (22) double-double for me, CAROTIN for Steve. I hadn't known KIPPEN – a past tense of KEP, but nearly got a challenge on ENPINK. Instead, Steve just played DIVULGE. ZAIRE for 68 and VEX for 42 got me back in it, but the latter set up his THERMOS for 108.
421 – 456     3-3     (20)                   me: ?SSXZ            opp: ?SSJQ

Rd 7 v. David Shuman
Opened by taking a guess at BEFOOL, since I knew BEDUNCE to be valid. I hit CELOSST (23), but missed EEHIOSTX (24) and AEHIMPST (25). GANNETS gave him a late lead, but with homeless ETESIAN I got PEATINESS* by.
437 – 335     4-3     +82                   me: ?SSSQX          opp: ?SJZ

Rd 8 v. Paul Erland
Likely the most points in a game in the fewest turns in a game in which I've ever been invol ved.
I opened with BCEEFIN (26). He knew the E-backhood, scored decently out of what I suspect was not a great rack. I failed with CUDDIER*, and even had it been valid, BENEFICE it it turns out is a verb. EMBOWING for him, ADIGNNOR (27) and AABEEKLT (28) back-to-back for me. GNATTIER for him, and then FLUORITS shortly after, then EHNRSSTU (29) for me.
I'm still stunned MISPUT* I bad, and it took my chances of winning from seemingly so-so to far worse. But he had both V's in the end game and made a mistake trying for an out-in-two, inadvertently setting up my AMU with (IS)M for a game-winning 35.
487-470     5-3     +99                     me: ?SSSJ            opp: ?SQXZ

Everyone in both divisions finished more or less according to where they'd been seeded, including me in 3rd place.  
Thank you to Will Scott for running such a fine event and to Cafe Meeples' peoples for providing our rental space and timely lunch service. Will indicates Cheryl Melvin and Steve Bush helped things run very smoothly, and kudos to Marc Broering on his Division One title! A special shout-out to the happy, cackling art class of elderly ladies in the adjacent room. I play friendlies at home with a four year-old running around, so it's harder for me to get distracted :)

Stat me, baybeeeee –

Blanks: 9/16
Esses: 19/32
JQXZ: 12/32
TOTAL: 40/80

Avg score: 408 – 396
Bingo count: 16 – 14

QUIZ ANSWERS
1) WRANGLER
2) ENLARGER
3) AENEOUS – having a greenish-gold color
4) ITINERARY
5) DEROGATE
6) WOODWASP
7) ETIOLATE – to whiten
8) TOILETTE – the act of dressing and grooming oneself
9) COGNIZER
10) PRONATE                                                             (also OPERANT, PROTEAN)
11) PETIOLATE – having a zoological or botanical stalk
12) UNGARBED
13) BEGROAN
14) RETILING                                                             (also GLINTIER, TINGLIER)
15) VERONAL – the first commercially-available barbiturate
16) LAVEROCK-- Scottish word for 'lark'
17) OVERTALK
18) CONVERGE
19) BONIEST
20) SURGERS
21) RUNGLESS
22) OUTSIDE                                                                (also TEDIOUS)
23) CLOSETS                                                                (also CLOSEST)
24) ETHOXIES – a univalent, radical chemical (pl.)
25) MATESHIP                                                              (also SHIPMATE)
                       – the state of being a mate; also Australian bro-code
26) BENEFIC – kindly
27) ADORNING
28) TAKEABLE

29) HUNTRESS

No comments:

Post a Comment