Thursday, November 27, 2014

Lexington, KY 2014


Lexington, KY 2014



What a fun week it was! Rich Banker, Norm Weathers, Dan Heck and his non-Scrabbling wife Michelle came all the way from my former club in Des Moines for a few days. We feasted on quality BBQ at a dive joint in the middle of nowhere north of town (redstatebbq.com), and introduced some to the culinary joy/sure heart attack that is the traditional Kentucky Hot Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Brown) at a longtime haunt, Columbia's Steakhouse (columbiassteakhouse.com). Also traveling from Des Moines were former club mates and friends Dawn Mennear, John Dearchs and Lexington native David Brown. It was a treat to see so many smiling, familiar faces from home.



Game 1 v. Tracy Bowman

She opened with GRIVETS, but I hit my fave of the day on turn two - CEELNNOP (1). Later, I missed AL(E)HOUsE/(FIG)s and OvE(R)HAUL, but did score 44. The blank yielded no playable bingos for three turns. I tried OUTSTeA(L)* unsuccessfully, but she left my AENOSTU (2) lane unblocked, and her proceeding Ze(A)L for 66 left her just short.

473 - 397 1-0 +76 +76 me: ?SSSX opp: ?SJQX



Game 2 vs. Will Scott

Another fave early in a game - got a challenge on nonbingo DEEGGORT (3) through a two. I skipped playing ?AFILRS (4) to take advantage of a dws spot under a Z, then landed SILLiER. Will hit SOlVING the turn in between to keep pace, but I drew the last two esses. I did miss/not know two nines - FRONTLETS and FRONTLIST.

421 - 367 2-0 +54 +130 me: ?SSSQ opp: ?SJXZ



Game 3 vs. Richard Johnson

Fought through half a game of dreck racks before getting luckypicking up ?S to make PASTRIES to take a tiny lead. Small as it was, he felt need to try ENDCAP* or he'd lose. No dice.

383 - 338 3-0 +45 +175 me: ?SSSX opp: ?SJQZ



Game 4 vs. Kelly McKenzie

ACETAMID for Kelly early, then simpler ADEIINT (5) for me. 50+ pt. REX I'd set up put him in lead again. I drew the second blank for ?BGLNOOP (6) late to pull even, but he bingo'ed out with ESTRONE. It was a tight fit, so mercifully, Quackle indicated any attempt to block the lane was a poor choice - he'd only had a 1/5 chance of holding a bingo that played.

392 - 452 3-1 (60) +115 me: ?SJQZ opp: ?SSSX



Game 5 vs. John Dearchs

COCAINES, TRAILERS and ?EEELPR from a D (7) for me. John scored 60 for his JETTED.

411 - 383 4-1 +28 +143 me: ??SSSQZ opp: SJX



Game 6 vs. David Brown

For me, the story of the game was SNOOTFUL* being challenged off. An amount of alcohol sufficient to get one inebriated - snootful! Dictionary.com shows is, guess it's slangy though. And it -will- be valid with the new dictionary. I had ADDEELS (8) and AGIILRNS (9); he scored FORERAN and ITEMING. Close game. Whatever. SNOOFTFUL*! Faux rage!

443 - 403 5-1 +40 +183 me: ??SSSQZ opp: SJX



Game 7 vs. Maureen Kennerk

Only bingo starting with U out of ?ILNNSU (10) and REELE(C)Ts couldn't get me ahead much. I missed CEEIMORT (11). Her AERATEs late drew her even, but she caught a clunky end rack.

404 - 361 6-1 +43 +226 me: ?SSQZ opp: ?SSJX



Game 8 vs. Cynthia Seales

I opened with LINDIES, but then couldn't get any traction after. PRENAME and JUBES for 60 for her was enough, and her guess at GLOSSER late gave her spread. I two nines late - AEILLNSRT (12).

332 - 461 6-2 (129) +97 me: ?SQJ me: ?SSSJX



SUNDAY

Game 9 vs. Marc Broering

DET(R)AINS/(FOG)S, ABEEINST (13), and ?AENNTY (14) for me, apparently unlucky racks for Marc. I think he may have played (PE)CKER just for a chance at extending with WOOD. Style points.

407 - 286 7-2 +121 +218 me: ?SSSJQZ opp: ?SX



Game 10 vs. Eric Harshbarger

My chance at beating #1 seed hinged on letting a big phony go early. I had just played double-double

?AAILRSS (15). He came back with HANdJOB(S)* for 104. I didn't even hold. After all, the BLOW- compound is valid. Later, I would take the lead with DEIORRTU (16) to a tws, only to give him STUMPIER for 95. I desperately tried UNDA(ZED)* in the end game, needing an unsuccessful challenge. He did the math, challenged it off to avoid a tie.

382 - 436 7-3 (54) +164 me: ?SSX opp: ?SSQJZ



Game 11 vs. John Fultz

My twentieth tournament game ever against John, far and away the most I've played against anyone. He usually has my number. Wish I'd made a better showing! John bingo'ed early with F(R)GUALly. We traded my bingoes a bit later - my ADEEILMR (17) to his ASTATINE. Unfortunately, I would unsuccessfully challenge his. I inadvertently made PO* setting up a 80+ pt. spot for my X. I foolishly passed on 50+ chances hoping for ADDAX or some such. Nope. My end game ploy failed - hoping he'd challenge SIDDAR* and that it would actually be valid.

384 - 405 7-4 (21) +143 me: SSJQXZ opp: ??SS



Game 12 vs. David Brown

Now we're all in pods of four based on standings. I'm in contention.

I couldn't sim it all, but know I missed a double-double seven out of EGHNOTX with an A for the fourth slot (18). He got PUDGILY for 54, then back to back with PRIVETS and SINCERE. I got AEENRRTU (19) between those. I'd also land ACEEILNR (20) and then salt it away with OLESTrA.

494 - 398 8-4 +96 +239 me: ??SJXZ opp: SSSQ



Game 13 vs. Kelly McKenzie

We traded opening bingos - his IDEATES to my DENNOSTU (21). His POACHIER forced me to play openly, but he got JOW for 46 and KNAR for 55. AADEIRT (22) didn't close the gap enough, and his FEISTIER capped the blowout. I tried RAMILLE* late, confusing it with RAMILIE/RAMILLIE.

323 - 548 8-5 (225) +14 me: SSZ opp: ??SSJQX



Game 14 vs. Marc Broering

Gotta win the close ones if you want money. I landed easy aLINERS early. Later I would make a simmed-best play that slotted F in a tws lane for his FANTASIE. Feeling the time crunch, I didn't plan an out-in-two and missed several game-winning moves holding a homeless SANTERA.

368 - 369 8-6 (1) +13 me: ?SSSJ opp: ?SXQZ



Game 15 vs. John Fultz

King of the Hill match. I don't think either of us could've climbed into the top four with a win for money prize.

EIPRRSU (23), DEEILSS (24) with a blank, and EEORSTV (25) got me home as other than an early sTANDEE John appeared to have zero luck on his draws.

431 - 311 9-6 +120 +133 me: ?SSSQX opp: ?SJZ



6th place and only a three point drop in rating. Perhaps I deserved worse fate for blowing Round 14. Or perhaps I need to remember few of us play perfectly and I made a couple nice plays along the way. Congratulations to Alabaman Eric Harshabrger on winning this, the top division of three we hosted. Thank you to our director, Steve Bush, for everything he put into the event; to his daughter Madeline for her data entry and other help; and to the Lexington club members for providing game room snacks and necessary tournament items.



Stat me, baby...

Blanks 15/30

Esses 35/60

JQXZ 29/60

Total 79/150 52 %



Games I had..

both blanks 3-0

one blank 6-4

no blanks 0-2



Bingos 29-20. Yay, me.



QUIZ ANSWERS

  1. PENONCEL - little triangular, tapered flag on the end of a knight's lance
  2. SOUTANE - clergyman's long garment (cassock)
  3. GORGETED - (adj.) a piece of armor for the throat
            - colored or textured patch on throat of a bird or animal
            - crescent-shaped ornament worn by officers of rank 17th-18th C.
            - Middle-Age wimple (woman's head scarf), ends fastened in the hair

  1. FRAZILS - ice crystals formed in turbulent water, like swift stream or rough seas
  2. INEDITA - unpublished literary works
  3. BLOOPING - to hit a short fly ball
  4. DEPLETER
  5. DELEADS
  6. RAILINGS
  7. UNSLING
  8. METEORIC
  9. INSTALLER, REINSTALL
  10. BETAINES - alkaloid used in treating muscular degeneration
  11. TENANCY (also TANNERY)
  12. SALARIES (also ASSAILER, REASSAIL)
  13. OUTRIDER - mounted rider outside a carriage
            - person who goes in advance of another or a car to clear a passage
            - mounted rider who leads a racehorse to the post
            - someone who leads the way or is part of a vanguard
            - someone like a scout, cowhand or ranch hand
  14. REMAILED (also REMEDIAL)
  15. HEXAGON
  16. RENATURE - to restore a denatured substance to its natural state
  17. RELIANCE
  18. UNSTONED
  19. TIARAED (also RADIATE, AIRDATE)
  20. UPRISER (also PURSIER)
  21. LIDLESS
  22. OVERSET (also REVOTES and VETOERS)

2 comments:

  1. matthew- I just stumbled across this blog and am highly offended over your comments re our game 13 in Knoxville last year. you slight me AND you slight Canadians!! It's true that I was surprised and upset that you challenged "estover"
    but I didn't go on "for hours" ! and you hide here and say all of that....since you apparently didn't understand my comment that I "hadn't phonied in years" and can't seem to get away with a phony or to that effect, it is true that I rarely play phonies and you just happened to pick it off. good for you, but how that doesn't make any sense to you is beyond me. of all of the hundreds of amercian scrabble players that I have known for years, you are the first to insult my homeland. what were you thinking? Lloyd mills

    ReplyDelete